Friday, December 19, 2014

Reflection,


For me Personally this semester went by pretty fast. I'd find myself completing weeks without even realizing the amount of work I was doing. I believe for my first my semester at Cal this class helped me transition into a new setting. What I loved most about the class is how diverse we were. I loved how our cultural backgrounds could be incorporated into many of the things we learned in this class. I wish I played guitar at least once. I'm learning how play but I feel that whats amazing about american folk music, blues music, and Appalachian music is that they can be easy play. I wish for one night I wasn't to shy to bring in my guitar. I enjoyed everyone's pieces. It's been a very eventful year me. Seeing everyone step up to the plate and produce artwork was very inspiring. It takes a lot of courage to display the things you make and even more courage to talk about those creations. I'm gonna miss closing my eyes and trying to visualize every single description Ben reads from his stories.

I learned a lot in this class. Especially about african american artist I've never heard of. It was invigorating to learn about figures who are important within my culture. I love recalling memories while listening to the blues songs and their roots. Understanding the material of this class evoked me to think about the american song and dance and its importance to my people. I mentioned in one post I was listening to one of the songs in the Anthropology of American Folk Music. The spiritual that was sung reminded of Georgia and my childhood and how things I miss are things I took for granted as a child.

Lastly, I want to mention how inspiring it was for people to open up and sing together. I believe Social media creates this dissonance of how individuals interact. Before their was social media song and dance connected people together socially and culturally, as it did in our class. I feel that this journey has taught me to open more about my artwork and taught me the importance of creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment