Monday, November 3, 2014

Mississippi John Hurt plays a huge role in american folk music. I believe that as american folk artist he underrated. Unfortunately I hadn't heard of John Hurt until  we covered a bit of his history in class.  John Hurt recordings spanned across a myriad of genres which included blues, blue grass, spirituals and rock n roll. I created this painting with the intent of metaphorically displaying how I feel about John Hurt's experience in the American folk music realm. The visual noise I tried to create in the painting is a representation of his presence in the american folk music realm. He is important part of american folk music and he is included in Harry Smith Anthology of American Folk music. However I was disappointed in myself that as African American I hadn't heard of John Hurt until most recently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment